Importing a glossary from Excel to Trados Multiterm via MultiTerm Convert
Edit: there is a faster way, try this http://www.cerebus.de/glossaryconverter/
Trados instructions appear overwhelming to you with the multitude of options? You have tried to import your favourite, two-column dictionary and failed? Read on, it is easier than it seems; although not half as easy as in other CAT tools like DVX, Wordfast or MetaTexis.
Preparing the glossary in Excel
Use headers, i.e. the first cell in the first column could be English and the first cell in the second column Greek:
Importing via MultiTerm Convert
Open MultiTerm Convert. You will see the following screens:
2. Conversion Session. Select New Conversion session.
3. Conversion Options. Select Microsoft Excel format.
4. Specify excel file. Input file. Select your Excel file. The other file options will be populated automatically. The location of the xml file will be the same as the location of the xls file. Note it as you will need it later.
5. Specify Column Header.
For English select Index field: English (e.g. US)
For Greek select Index field: Greek
6. Create Entry Structure. Leave as is. Next.
7. Conversion Summary. Leave as is. Next.
8. Converting. Wait.
9. Conversion Complete. Finish.
Creating and Importing to MultiTerm termbase
Open MultiTerm. File/Create termbase:
1. Termbase definition. Use a predefined termbase template: Bilingual glossary
2. Termbase Name. Enter name.
3. Index fields. Remove German. Add Greek.
4. Descriptive fields. Leave as is. Next.
5. Entry structure. Leave as is. Next.
6. Wizard Complete. Finish.
Termbase/Import entries: Termbase Catalogue. Select default import definition. Press Process.
1. General settings. Import file: the xml file you have created. Select Fast import (skip to screen 7).
7. Import definition summary. Next.
8. Processing the import. Next. Wizard Complete. Finish. Close Termbase Catalogue.